League of Legends' Bot Issue
I started playing League of Legends earlier this year.I don't care much for any mode other than ARAM, which I find the most thrilling... or at least I did until recently. Somehow it went from super fun to totally boring and annoying in a matter of days.
I am not the first person to have noticed this. It is a known issue overall in most games of this type, involving progression through experience points. I have found that many players have noticed this too: basically some champions are controlled by users who set up their computers to run programs that simulate a player's behavior, thus leveling their account from Level 0 to 30, either to play ranked matched more quickly (which cannot be accessed by lower than level 30 characters), or to resell their account.
Since no human is actually playing those champions, these are called bots. So, I have seen players reporting the typical behavior of those supposed bots ("supposed", because even if it's often obvious, it is impossible to be 100% sure) on forums. These include:
- Picking only the recommended items for their champion (but as a player I often do this as I am not familiar with all champions);
- Picking the same items (with unique passive abilities) more than once (this one is usually a strong indication that this is a bot, but in some cases, it could be simply a player's choice);
- Sticking to the basic level spells while player level allows for better spell selection;
- Typing "GG" in the game chat right a the moment the game is over (but I tend to do this too);
- Not communicating at all during the game (that's a more valid point, but sometimes players just don't like to chat during a game);
- Not moving forward until minions spawn, and retreating when no allied minion is around.
- Not taking any risk in general.
- Moving mostly in a straight line, back and forth.
- Playing just plain badly (that's not a bot-only issue, but as player level goes up, it becomes more and more obvious)
All in all, it translates into a very boring game in spite of scoring tons of kills. Furthermore, once you run into those bots a few times, you tend to "get" their patterns and it becomes only more obvious (and demoralizing) that they are bots.
As I said earlier, this issue has always existed. The current problem though, is the sudden higher frequency of this happening, with often times games where I am the only human player.
And as many players point out, Riot Games, developers of LOL, currently do not provide a "Bot report" option, which makes things even more frustrating.